Sunday, March 29, 2009

Apologies! Stories! Elephants!

OK, frankly, all you get this time are apologies. I'm sorry I haven't been writing anything to anybody recently (with the possible exception of text messages -- you have no idea how great it is to get text messages from the States), but I'm working on it. As it turns out, I have very little time during training for much besides learnin' stuff. But I've also discovered that it's very hard to write for you. Explaining life to you requires me to be in two mental places at one time -- the Unites States and Senegal.

Tomorrow, I leave Thies to visit Ndiago, the small village in the Kaolack region (find it on a map for extra elephant points!) that will be my home for the next two years. The current PCV I'm replacing and I are going to hang out for a few days, and she'll introduce me to all the 271 people living in Ndiago. I'll probably get a new name as well. During training, I am Issa Sene, a name given to me by my host family. Funny story -- apparently it's a boy's name meaning Jesus.

Anyway, I'm hoping to come back from my village with a new determination to share my life in Senegal with you. I may have said this before, but I'm radiantly happy here. The only thing that would make it any better would be if I could magically be sharing it with you -- or at least find the will to write more. Soon, soon.

5 comments:

  1. Guys, my mom says it's easier to find Ndiago if you drop the N and look for Diago. And it's not that one in the Fatick region! It's in Kaolack, I swear. Keep looking....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jessie: Congrats on your incredible adventure. I do look forward to more posts. In part, because I am ghostwriting articles for a solar energy architect who is concerned about "energy poverty" on your continent. When time allows, I would love to know more about the kinds of energy your village uses. Meanwhile, good luck. Love, cousin doug

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jessie!

    Just wanted to drop a quick line and say I am so happy that you are so happy!

    Love and hugs-
    C

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello,
    I was searching for information on the Elephant population in Nikola Koba and found your blog. I was a volunteer in the Passy area back in 1990. Jean Richter was the volunteer at the park during that time. She was studying the elphants ...would love to hear from you. I am currently a teacher and could use your experiences in my classroom.

    Lisa
    email: saydy1967@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete